This is not just a hiking map, this is a hiking guide AND 1: 25 000 map.
Taygetos extends as 70 km of magnificent massif anchoring the southern tip of Greece. From a dense network of challenging trails, we selected routes favored since antiquity by devotees of sky-gods or their successor, the Prophet Elijah. Paths wrapped in glorious nature. Trails that exploit favourable folds in the terrain, or follow the rugged gorges that were until recently the only gateway to the mountain.
Each route has its topo map and altitude profile, plus duration, distance, degree of difficulty, vegetation, sights, and links to other trails. Photographs and a route description enrich the picture.
Find out how the ancient Spartans carved out wagon roads to conquer Greece’s most dramatic mountain 2500 years ago, by Professor Yanis Pikoulas.
In the new hiking guide with a map 1:25 000 of Taygetos,18 routes are described, divided into areas: Laconian, Messinian, Center and North side of Taygetos, as well as ancient routes crossing the mountain in Antiquity.
Among the 18 routes there are all levels of difficulty: GREEN = EASY | BLUE = INTERMEDITATE | RED = DEMANDING | BLACK = VERY DIFFICULT. The difficulty depends on elevation range, length and type of terrain
See the routes here:
1. Manganari - Refuge - summit Profitis Ilias 2407m
2. Refuge - summit Profitis Ilias 2407m – Agios Dimitrios – Pentavli - Refuge
3. Refuge – peak Chalasmeno 2204m
4. Pikoulianika – peak Koufovouni 1850m
5. Anavryti – Refuge
6. Parori - Faneromeni monastery - Metamorfosi Sotiros - Parori
7. Mystras - Taygeti
8. Mystras - Castle North Gate - Mystras ΤAYGETOS (Messenian side)
9. Agios Dimitrios - Mousgia - peak Chalasmeno 2204m
10. Vyros Gorge (Agios Dimitrios - Exochori)
11. Ridomo Gorge (Voreio to Pigadia Stone bridge)
12. Velanidia monastery - Lagou hann
Crossing of Mount Taygetos crestline
NORTH ΤAYGETOS(with the help of EOS SPARTIS and Nikos Laganas)
14. Longastra - Trypi - Pikoulianika - Mystras
15. Marble-bridge – Bridge – Kastori springs - Vrysiotiko - Perivolia springs - Agios Loukas - Ring road of Kastori - Agios Mamas springs
16. Myli Gorge (Georgitsi - Kastori)
17. Georgitsi - Agios Panteleimon 18. Kastorio - Xerovouna (of 2 sections of it)
18α. Latta - Lousina / 18β. Lousina - Xerovouna
FOR THE ANAVASI MAPP APP BUY THE MAPS DIRECTLY IN THE APP
Anavasi maps are all available in digital format (geo-referenced images), combining new technologies with high-quality cartography.
For smartphones we recommend Anavasi mapp. Within the application one purchases each map (corresponding to the printed one) separately. After the map is purchased and downloaded, the application works offline. The map is identical to the printed one and shows your location in the center of the screen. We can also choose one of the proposed routes to follow.
The digital maps available from our online store are geo-referenced map images in 3 different formats. All three are included in the compressed zip file.
1. Map image georeferenced in GGRS87, the Greek Geodetic Reference System (filename *87.tif), which can be used in GIS programs or other cartographic data management programs.
2. Map image georeferenced in WGS84, the global geodetic reference system (filename *84.tif), which can be used in GIS programs or cartographic data management programs.
3. Map image in Kmz format, which can be loaded on most new Garmin GPS models. Please check out the Garmin site to see if your GPS model supports "Custom Maps".
We recommend to use the digital map always in combination with the paper map that gives us a complete overview of the area and is useful when planning our journey.
It is forbidden to copy and distribute the digital files. They can only be printed for non-commercial use.
- ISBN: 9789609412865