Hiking map for the island of Lefkada in scale 1:40 000.
The fourth in the group of seven large islands of the Ionian Sea, Lefkada has lovely beaches and a wealth of natural and cultural attractions in its hinterland. A detailed mapping of the road network and the footpaths make this map an invaluable tool for exploring the island.
What is Lefkada?
Lefkada, also known as Lefkas or Leukas or Leucadia, from Greek Λευκάδα, is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, on the west coasts of Greece. A connected to the mainland by a long causeway and floating bridge. The capital of the island is called Lefkada as well, as often in Greece.
The highest mountain is Stavrota at 1158 metres situated in the center of the island.
Small islands surround Lefkada like Meganisi, Kalamos, Kithros, Sparti Lefkados, Skorpios, Arkoudi ect.
Things to do in Lefkada:
1. Swim and enjoy the sea: the famous beach of Porto Katsiki, Egkermni beach, Kathisma beach, Milo beach, or at the resorts of Sivota, Lygia, Nikiana, Perigiali, or Nidri.
The best windsurfing spots on Lefkada are Agios Ioannis and Vasiliki.
2. Hiking in Lefkada through the rural landscapes, like the footpath from Eglouvi to Agios Dounatos and discover another side of the island. Walk along the Dimosari gorge and waterfalls, with its wild riverside vegetation.
3. Visit Cape Lefkada where the ancient Greek poetess Sappho, allegedly killed herself by jumping off the cliffs in the Ionian Sea.
4. Go sunset watching is Rachi, located on the west coast, in the mountain village of Exanthia.
Contours at 50m intervals, relief shading and spot heights present the topography, and the maps also show variations in vegetation: forest, shrubbery, orchards, and vineyards. Road network includes minor unsurfaced roads, indicating those in poor condition. Intermediate distances are marked on main and secondary routes. Archaeological or historical sites and other places of interest are highlighted, with symbols marking mountain refuges, caves, thermal spas, etc. Names of town, villages, and most geographical features and places of interest are in both Greek and Latin alphabet. The maps have both metric grid lines GGRS87 and ticks plus crosshairs for latitude and longitude lines at 5’ intervals. Map legend includes English. The double index on the reverse of the maps is in both scripts.
|Map reference code||9.1|
Anavasi maps are all available in digital format (geo-referenced images), combining new technologies with high-quality cartography.
For use on smartphones (with Android Operating system) we recommend Anavasi mapp app. Within the application one purchases each map (corresponding to the printed one) separately. After the map is purchased and downloaded, the application works offline.
The map is identical to the printed one and shows your location in the center of the screen. We can also choose one of the proposed routes to follow.
For iPhone/iPad users we recommend purchasing our maps through the Avenza Maps application.
The digital maps available from our online store are geo-referenced map images in 3 different formats. All three are included in the compressed zip file.
1. Map image georeferenced in GGRS87, the Greek Geodetic Reference System (filename *87.tif), which can be used in GIS programs or other cartographic data management programs.
2. Map image georeferenced in WGS84, the global geodetic reference system (filename *84.tif), which can be used in GIS programs or cartographic data management programs.
3. Map image in Kmz format, which can be loaded on most new Garmin GPS models. Please check out the Garmin site to see if your GPS model supports "Custom Maps".
We recommend to use the digital map always in combination with the paper map that gives us a complete overview of the area and is useful when planning our journey.
It is forbidden to copy and distribute the digital files. They can only be printed for non-commercial use.
- ISBN: 978-960-8195-073