Collaboration with the Municipality of Pylos - Nestoros for the mapping of the Minagiotiko path that connects the settlement of Kato Ampelokipi with Finikounda, Messinia.
The Minagiotiko Natura 2000 Trail crosses the valley of the Minagiotiko river, which originates from the area of Kato Ampelokipi and flows west of Finikounda. 13 watermills and 1 water mill have been identified along the river, while 7 of them are located along the path. The southern part of the trail runs through a protected area of the European network Natura 2000, while the northern part, although outside Natura, contributes to the substantial improvement of its ecological cohesion, as it is an additional sanctuary for important species. At the same time, the area contains important habitat types (Directive 92/43 / EEC) such as plane trees (orientalis), wild olive and carob forests, Aria forests (Quercus ilex) and Mediterranean pine forests. Also, at the northern starting point of the path are 3 monumental trees of the "Network of Centuries-old Trees of the Greek Revolution" and among them the oldest Wicker in Greece. Thus, the flora of the area favors the presence of important species of fauna such as jackal, fox etc. The trail is located within the western migratory route of birds in Greece, at one of the southern ends of the Balkans. Therefore, it hosts three important endangered species of large eagles, the Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga), the King Eagle (Aquila heliaca) and the Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos).
Historically, it is worth noting that the watermills of the Minagiotiko river are depicted in Venetian maps of 1690 (NW Venetian rule). Next, it is important to mention the Minagiotiko river by the French philhellene Satombrian on his way from Methoni to Koroni in 1806. Also, along the path, in 1825, the first war between Greeks and Turkish-Egyptians took place (Battle of KatoMi). Also, the French Scientific Mission of Moria in the conclusion of its works refers to the Minagiotiko river (Spring 1829). Finally, in the area of the northern starting point of the path is the preserved Primary School of Kato Ampelokipi, which was the Headquarters of the National Resistance of Southern Messinia during the Second World War (1941-1944) as well as an important Venetian fortress.